Compressing alt.sex.pictures files

William Lewis wiml at milton.u.washington.edu
Fri Aug 31 05:57:46 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug30.100256.14356 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> 2) (for the adaptive method) a penalty in that the start-up unit
>    frequency estimate is incorrect and all units are initially
>    considered equally likely;

   Well, since with a differenced image we already know it's going to
have lots of small values and fewer large values, this could be coded
into the algorithm as a default startup table ...

> 6) an explicit EOF unit 257th encoding (in the case of encoding

  If the image size is stored in the header, this is not necessary as
the decoder can simply stop reading when it's filled its buffer.

--
wiml at blake.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington  | No sig under
(William Lewis)  |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W  |||||||| construction