Elvis 1.3 on MSDOS: executable size, virec

chet at uwovax.uwo.ca chet at uwovax.uwo.ca
Thu Aug 30 22:03:44 AEST 1990

My first attempt at compiling Elvis 1.3 with MSC 6.0 and the /qc
option--this may be equivalent to Quick C ??--resulted in an executable
of close to 200K. The second time, with -DBLKSIZE=512 and /Os and for
the linker, /exepack, the size was down near 100K, although the load
time did not seem significantly reduced. If Steve Kirkendall's reckoning
on p.32 of the manual works both ways, reducing BLKSIZE to 512 should
still allow elvis to work with files up to about 100K.

virec does not seem to work at all. Has anyone had any success with it
on MSDOS? I wish there were a backup option (like Stevie's), but don't
have time now to work on it. If someone else does, I would be grateful.

Chet Creider
creider at csd.uwo.ca