missing parts - elvis?

Rich Wales wales at valeria.cs.ucla.edu
Wed Aug 29 14:47:25 AEST 1990

In article <5345 at kd4nc.UUCP> cld at kd4nc.UUCP (Charles D'Englere) writes:

	I seem to be missing some parts of elvis that drive the
	terminal operation of the program. Missing files seem to
	be the following:

				fgetlr
				isdigit
				tgetent
				tgetflag
				tgetnum
				tgetstr
				tgoto
				tputs

	I am trying to compile this under MS-DOS using MSC 5.10.
	The only function that I found that is in the MSC libraries
	is 'isdigit'. Any insight to this would be appreciated.

A substitute for the stuff in the "termcap" subdirectory (everything you
mentioned except for "isdigit") can be found in "TINYTCAP.C".  This is a
mini-termcap replacement that is only smart enough to know about the
ANSI screen driver codes.

I successfully complied Elvis this evening using Borland Turbo C++ 1.0.
I had to create my own .PRJ file, since the format is completely differ-
ent under Turbo C++.  I also had to use the "medium" memory model, since
the code segment is more than 64K bytes long.

It seems to work fine (on my 8-MHz 286 with VGA).  One minor misfeature
is that it redraws the entire screen more often than it needs to.  A
somewhat more annoying problem is that, if I delete a paragraph by
positioning the cursor on the preceding blank line and typing "d}", it
should leave the blank line, but it doesn't.  Also, certain editing
operations that can be repeated in VI via "." don't work in Elvis; "."
instead invokes some other past operation.

--
-- Rich Wales <wales at CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683