Archive-name

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM
Wed Aug 22 14:36:14 AEST 1990

I'm afraid that trying to enforce a header field like Archive-Name: in
an unmoderated source group like alt.sources goes against the grain of
the group.  You are always going to have people who don't supply it; we
are always going to have these arguments.  And yes, those who do supply
it will sometimes do it wrong, or redundantly, or ambiguously.

The virtue of alt.sources is its spontaneity and timeliness.  Those
things are more important than header consistency.

One solution that suggests itself is fixing things in alt.sources.index.
Kyle is already performing a great service by tagging along after the
great unruly caravan of alt.sources and putting things in place.
(Remember the guy with the broom in the credits of Jay Ward's Mr Peabody
and Sherman cartoon?)  Perhaps he could filter for the approved header
and, failing to find one, assign one.  I know it's extra work but it
might be worth it, even if there is some additional delay in the index.

--
"We plan absentee ownership.  I'll stick to       `o'   Tom Neff
 building ships." -- George Steinbrenner, 1973    o"o   tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM