wp2latex (1 of 4)

Larry A. Shurr shurr at cbnews.att.com
Tue Aug 14 02:26:17 AEST 1990

In article <6443 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> leres at helios.ee.lbl.gov (ucbvax!leres for uucp weenies) writes:
}Peter da Silva writes:
}} Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
}} in postings to alt.sources?...

}Yes, I think it *really* is.

Whereas it is in reality no such thing.

}The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
}alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?

Bad enough to bash Peter da Silva, a net contributor, but useless, self-
serving bashing of naive netters contributes nothing to this discussion.

}It'd be one thing if news software could be configured to require extra
}header(s) on a per newsgroup basis but you're talking about something
}that has to be manually added.

Manual, yes, but not difficult to do.  No trouble for any netter once
educated in the practice.  It greatly reduces the amount of work for
those who administer archives of posted materials.  It's not much to
ask in order to assist those who provide this service.

}Personally, I think you should just give it up (and I'm sure you'll
}flame me for saying so). Meanwhile, the rest of us will just kick back
}and snicker every time you continue your (hopeless) one man crusade by
}gracing the net with another "archive-name" posting...

Well, not ALL the rest of us.  Many (most?) probably don't even care.
Others think that those who administer archives deserve a little assist-
ance.  Still others think... well, others think all kinds of things, some
worthwhile and some not.

--
Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las at att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
The end of the world has been delayed due to a shortage of trumpet players.