elvis problems

Michael I. Lichter lichter at kona.cs.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 7 06:10:38 AEST 1990

Hi.  I'm giving elvis a try on a Sun4 running SunOS 4.0.3.  It generally
seems pretty nice, but it has one major problem (that I've noticed so
far).  Elvis seems to be set up to handle long lines of text much more
nicely than vi, but it has real problems displaying this text.

On my machine, I used vi to edit /usr/man/whatis, a text file with many
long lines.  If I have a full screen of text and start scrolling down
a line at a time, I get lines of text in the command area (last line of
the screen).  At the same time, some lines that follow long lines have
the first character or so omitted.  There are other display problems, but
those are the most characteristic.

It's possible that elvis just doesn't like my terminal type - xterms, a
vt100 emulation.  Vi doesn't have any problems with it, however.

Fixes appreciated (of course).

Michael