Perl patches (was Re: shar 3.49 (part 2 of 2))

J Greely jgreely at morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu
Sun Sep 23 17:42:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep23.004118.2745 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
 (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>I think the point is still being missed here. Larry Wall had, when he
>release perl, about 26 patches _in_hand_, but rather than make the first
>release at patch level 26, released patchlevel 0 and 26 patch postings.

Wait a minute.  As long as I've been paying attention, he's been
posting source to a moderated source group and patches to
comp.sources.bugs.  If this is what happened with the initial Perl
release, how long did the sources sit in the queue?  Long enough for
the really interested folks to ftp it and suggest changes and patches?
We all know how willing Larry is to improve his software in response
to user requests (which is either a virtue or a fatal personality
flaw, depending on which side you're on).

  Regardless, this whole discussion is has nothing to do with Perl as
it exists now, so I don't see why it continues (well, actually, I *do*
understand, but I'm in too nice of a mood to bring it up).
--
J Greely (jgreely at cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)