elvis - a first impression

Alan Clegg abc at Matrix.COM
Sat Sep 1 04:01:44 AEST 1990

In article <577 at hhb.UUCP> istvan at hhb.UUCP (Istvan Mohos) writes:

>So far I ran elvis under Ultrix V2.2-1, SunOS3.x, and on a Sparcstation1+,
>both in normal size windows and against extra big screens (up to 190x74) that
>vi couldn't handle.

Add to this list Data General AViiON running DG/UX 4.30 (X windows of any size)

Two other nits:

o	~ = home directory or $HOME environment variable ie: ":r ~/text"
	    results in a file called "~/text" to be read (or not 8-) instead
	    of reading from the home directory of the user.

o	^U will not erase input in 'ex' mode ie: "/fred^Ujoe" looks for a
	    string with fred^Ujoe in it instead of being interpreted as
	    "fred OOPS, I MEAN joe"

Other than these little nits, I LOVE it.  Very good job!

-abc
--
Alan B. Clegg				uucp:  ...!mcnc!matrx!abc
Matrix Corporation			inet: abc at matrix.com
Raleigh, NC
 "They were all wrong.  The workstation model is obsolete." A. Tanenbaum