viewmail parsing modifications

Ellen newsk at cbnewsk.att.com
Wed Sep 5 17:19:59 AEST 1990

I'm using viewmail (Vmail 2.1, I believe).  When vmail reads
the "From" line in my mailbox, apparently it looks for an
icon match on the first field following the bang "!".  Example:

From: att!pucc.PRINCETON.EDU!mary

Here, it looks for an icon named "pucc".  If it doesn't find it
I get my standard "Uknown" icon.  And the same happens here:

From: att!pucc.PRINCETON.EDU!john

Again, it matches on "pucc".  NOT "mary" or "john".  So every piece
of mail I receive through that particular gateway will get the same
icon.

Anybody have a modified vmail that gets past this to the real sender?
I have the source here somewhere so I can play around with the parser
and build a new version, but I'd rather save time and avoid reinventing
the wheel if possible.

Thanks,

-Ellen