sux, an enhancer for su

David Hawkins dhawk at well.sf.ca.us
Fri Apr 26 15:29:12 AEST 1991

kyle at uunet.uu.net (Kyle Jones) writes:

>Make it easy for people to become root when they
>need to, and they're less likely to run as root when they don't
>need to.  This is what the command is supposed to offer.  As for
>the consequences, well, there are always tradeoffs.

Make a copy of /bin/sh or /bin/csh  (or whatever shell you like),
and make it suid root and group executable only by group wheel or
group root (depending on your system)

-rws--x---  1 root     root        26288 Oct 21  1989 /rootsh

Easy enough.

NOTE: I would not do this, of course and do *not* recommend it, but
it's about as secure as your /etc/group file and the passwords of the
folks in group root or group wheel

later, david
--
David Hawkins - dhawk at well.sf.ca.us - {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
There are two insults no human being will endure: that he has no sense of