UPS monitor daemon part 1 of 1

Syd Weinstein syd at DSI.COM
Fri Apr 12 10:13:40 AEST 1991

woods at eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>Neat-oh.  How about a feature that can calculate the total time down
>and the average charging time, and thus be able to figure out how long
>the battery will last?  I've seen this in a couple of commercial pgms.
First off get a Best Products UPS, its in the UPS software itself
on the UPS (theirs has a Micro on board that speaks RS-232 and can
send change of status reports including time remaining on the battery,
load factors, voltage, etc.

The problem with doing the calc without reading amp draw and vin
is that the curve is not linear.  You need to figure the delta
in the vin of the battery (varies with size, charge and age of the
battery) to get a reliable calc.  Its easy if you can just scan
the vin, with a look for a signal change only interface (thats
not really rs-232 folks) its near impossible to get a good calculation.