sux, an enhancer for su

James Cameron jc at raven.bu.edu
Fri Apr 26 05:15:13 AEST 1991

Kyle> Tom Christiansen writes:
 > And this is a feature???  If there are users who can become root
 > without a password, then it's MUCH easier to subvert the
 > system.

Kyle> I think we're talking around each other.  Most people understand
Kyle> the decrease in security.  What you gain is ease of use and
Kyle> safety.  Using a root shell is like using a table saw without the
Kyle> guard plate.  Make it easy for people to become root when they
Kyle> need to, and they're less likely to run as root when they don't
Kyle> need to.  This is what the command is supposed to offer.  As for
Kyle> the consequences, well, there are always tradeoffs.

Wait, since when is typing an 8 character password time consuming or
difficult?? *I* certainly don't want to worry that if I suddenly have
to leave the room for a brief second, that someone is going to type
sux and have access to root privs.  I find this to simply be a
MAJOR security risk.

jc
--
					-- James Cameron  (jc at raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879