A readable, robust encoding for source postings

Rhys Weatherley rhys at batserver.cs.uq.oz.au
Tue Jan 1 16:11:02 AEST 1991

In <1990Dec31.232624.23510 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Problem is, lots of shars are unpacked on systems where the C compiler
>command isn't spelled "cc", lots of shars don't contain C code and may
>be unpacked on systems where, e.g., Modula-2 is the only compilable
>language, in fact, I unpack lots of shars on my Amiga, where "sed"
>doesn't exist, and the "unshar" program fakes it by knowing the format
>of ordinary shar file "sed" commands and doing what's right.

So much for that idea :-)

Then again, maybe we just need better co-ordination between the source
and binary groups and the FTP sites around the world, since they have
the best transmission method: store it the way it was meant to be!
How about the moderators refuse to submit a program unless it has
first been submitted to one or more of the major FTP sites, and they
are obliged to list the FTP sites where it can be found in the
initial blurb about the program?

Rhys.