Multiple executables in path

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Sat Jan 26 04:01:05 AEST 1991

In article <5688 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> pfalstad at burst.Princeton.EDU (Paul Falstad) writes:
> >[ explains how it works ]
> Yes, I did figure it out, but it took a while.  The perl solution was
> obvious, at least to me.
> >(Btw, are you so sure that your change is correct?)
> No, I didn't bother to test it.  I don't know perl.

Well, your ``obvious'' change is wrong. This says something about the
maintainability of the perl solution.

> >That isn't a bug; it's a documented feature. You can easily avoid it if
> >you want.
> How?  (genuine question)  Is there a way to make csh not glob the results
> of command substitution but have usual globbing work fine?

Hint: To stop foo from being globbed, you put double-quotes around it.

> Also, this
> feature is not documented, at least not in my manual.

Frighteningly bad csh manual you have if it doesn't mention double
quotes.

> >You and Tom are coming across as so lazy that you'd rather waste
> >thousands of dollars of money around the world arguing with facts than
> >spending the two minutes it would take you to figure things out on your
> >own. Any competent shell programmer can use filters, and I'm not going
> >to teach you tricks that you can easily figure out for yourself.
> I spent the two minutes figuring it out, and now I'm wasting thousands
> of dollars of money around the world hoping to prevent others from
> having to do the same.

Sorry, but all you've shown in this article is that you don't know how
to use double-quotes to prevent globbing.

---Dan