fortune cookie file -- part 08 of 06

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Thu Sep 21 00:09:13 AEST 1989

apply this patch to Karl's fortune cookie file...
nothing terrible but one may as well get it right going in

*** cookies.old	Wed Sep 20 10:05:38 1989
--- cookies	Wed Sep 20 10:05:34 1989
***************
*** 1,6 ****
--- 1,8 ----

  Below, the latest installment of quotes for the cookie file...

+ some typos corrected 9/20/89 - TMN
+
  ---------------------------- cut here -----------------------------
  %%
  "All through human history, tyrannies have tried to enforce obedience by
***************
*** 229,235 ****
  -- Andy Mickel
  %%
  "And now that the legislators and the do-gooders have
! so futilely inflicted so many system upon society,
  may they end up where they should have begun: may they
  reject all systems, and try liberty..."
  -- Frederic Bastiat
--- 231,237 ----
  -- Andy Mickel
  %%
  "And now that the legislators and the do-gooders have
! so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society,
  may they end up where they should have begun: may they
  reject all systems, and try liberty..."
  -- Frederic Bastiat
***************
*** 292,298 ****
  -- Dr. Richard LeBlanc, associate professor of ICS, quoted in "The Technique,"
  Georgia Tech's newspaper, after the computer worm hit the Internet
  %%
! Personally, should I ever form a globe spanning comglomerate,
  I intend to do it fairly and without malice or dirty politics.

  I hope you fellows don't make that too difficult a task;
--- 294,300 ----
  -- Dr. Richard LeBlanc, associate professor of ICS, quoted in "The Technique,"
  Georgia Tech's newspaper, after the computer worm hit the Internet
  %%
! Personally, should I ever form a globe spanning conglomerate,
  I intend to do it fairly and without malice or dirty politics.

  I hope you fellows don't make that too difficult a task;
***************
*** 414,420 ****
  -- from an old hymn
  %%
  "Justice, like lightning, should ever appear
!  To some men hope, to other mean fear."
  -- Jefferson Pierce
  %%
  "No!  We will not die like dogs.  We will fight like lions!"
--- 416,422 ----
  -- from an old hymn
  %%
  "Justice, like lightning, should ever appear
!  To some men hope, to other men fear."
  -- Jefferson Pierce
  %%
  "No!  We will not die like dogs.  We will fight like lions!"
***************
*** 505,511 ****
   sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
  -- John Galt, in Ayn Rand's _Atlas Shrugged_
  %%
! Objects in your terminal are close than they appear.
  %%
  "The life of money-making is one undertaken under compulsion, and wealth is
   evidently not the good we are seeking, for it is merely useful for the sake
--- 507,513 ----
   sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
  -- John Galt, in Ayn Rand's _Atlas Shrugged_
  %%
! Objects in your terminal are closer than they appear.
  %%
  "The life of money-making is one undertaken under compulsion, and wealth is
   evidently not the good we are seeking, for it is merely useful for the sake
***************
*** 599,605 ****
  said to him, "Young man, I care neither for your politics nor for
  your moustache."

! He reassured here, "You are as unlikely to come into contact with the
  one as with the other."
  %%
  After winning the pennant one year, Casey Stengel commented,
--- 601,607 ----
  said to him, "Young man, I care neither for your politics nor for
  your moustache."

! He reassured her, "You are as unlikely to come into contact with the
  one as with the other."
  %%
  After winning the pennant one year, Casey Stengel commented,
  -- Dave Mack, mack at inco.UUCP, responds to a flame in news.groups
  %%
! "Writing programs needs genuis to save the last order or the last millisecond.
   It is great fun, but it is a young man's game.  You start it with great
   enthusiasm when you first start programming, but after ten years you get a
   bit bored with it, and then you turn to automatic-programming languages and
--- 793,799 ----
  last resort, unsubscribe.
  -- Dave Mack, mack at inco.UUCP, responds to a flame in news.groups
  %%
! "Writing programs needs genius to save the last order or the last millisecond.
   It is great fun, but it is a young man's game.  You start it with great
   enthusiasm when you first start programming, but after ten years you get a
   bit bored with it, and then you turn to automatic-programming languages and
***************
*** 857,863 ****
  Why did you lure us on like this,
  Light-year on light-year, through the abyss,
  Building (as though we cared for size!)
! Empire that cover galaxies,
  If at journey's end we find
  The same old stuff we left behind,
  Well-worn Tellurian stories of
--- 859,865 ----
  Why did you lure us on like this,
  Light-year on light-year, through the abyss,
  Building (as though we cared for size!)
! Empires that cover galaxies,
  If at journey's end we find
  The same old stuff we left behind,
  Well-worn Tellurian stories of
***************
*** 943,949 ****
  of the interface, the universe.  Brain contained in a perfect liquid-
  crystal analog.  Nerves like the strings of a steel guitar.  Heart a
  spinning turbopump.  The Steel Cowboy, his body a screaming monochrome
! flicker, dispensing justice and righting wrongs.  Who was thas masked AI?
  Dunno, pardner, but he left this silver casting of a crystal circuit.

    To Cowboy, it sounded pretty good.
--- 945,951 ----
  of the interface, the universe.  Brain contained in a perfect liquid-
  crystal analog.  Nerves like the strings of a steel guitar.  Heart a
  spinning turbopump.  The Steel Cowboy, his body a screaming monochrome
! flicker, dispensing justice and righting wrongs.  Who was that masked AI?
  Dunno, pardner, but he left this silver casting of a crystal circuit.

    To Cowboy, it sounded pretty good.
***************
*** 955,961 ****
  "Then May the fourth be with you."
  -- Count Duckula
  %%
! "Once you've had real champagne, you can never go back to Asti Spimanti."
  -- Georgette Lundberg
  %%
  "Life is a pinball machine.  You bounce around for a while, and then you drain."
--- 957,963 ----
  "Then May the fourth be with you."
  -- Count Duckula
  %%
! "Once you've had real champagne, you can never go back to Asti Spumanti."
  -- Georgette Lundberg
  %%
  "Life is a pinball machine.  You bounce around for a while, and then you drain."

--
'We have luck only with women --    \\\     Tom Neff
          not spacecraft!'         *-((O    tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET