Unofficial patch for LESS

Mark Nudelman mark at unix386.Convergent.COM
Tue Sep 19 04:08:08 AEST 1989

In article <13668 at well.UUCP>, dhawk at well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
> The beta version of less, version 123 just got here.  If you compile
> it and then try to use the help function you'll get an error message
> about  '-H' being an invalid flag.  To correct, use the following
> patch on help.c

The -H flag is a NEW flag.  It is valid in the new less but not the
old one.  The problem you are experiencing is because you have not
installed the new less in a public directory.  When the help command
runs, it invokes less on a help file.  Since the old less is run,
you get the error message.  Install the new less and the problem
should go away.

I'd like to request that people who have bug fixes MAIL them to
me rather than posting them, and I will post merged bug fixes.
In the past there has been a lot of confusion because dozens of
people posted their favorite bug fixes, some valid and some not,
making it nearly impossible for anyone to put together a single
version with bug fixes.  (I might add that in this case, David
did send me mail as well as posting.)

Mark Nudelman
{uunet,sun,decwrl,hplabs}!pyramid!ctnews!unix386!mark