Bandwidth Wasters Hall of Fame - The Code

Stephen Uitti suitti at haddock.ima.isc.com
Fri Sep 29 10:05:00 AEST 1989

>}> I couldn't get the csh script to work on our system for
>}> /usr/spool/news/comp/sys/mac - the program said the argument was too long -
>}> any suggestions/help from anyone?

One suggestion is "don't bother".  comp.sys.mac is a high volume news group,
but most of the articles have something to do with reality, with few flame
wars.  Even when Canvas is compared to Superpaint, a description of both
products emerges.  The bug lists for uSoft Word 4.0 were long, but helpful.
This stupid script has been the cause of the most useless flame wars in
comp.arch and other groups.  I didn't save the program.  I suggest that people
actually delete their copies.  The high bandwidth waster was the posting of
the script.  With that action, hundreds or thousands of people could
mindlessly post long articles.  We don't need more mindless posts.

Stephen.