#define DEBUG... (using printf for debugging)

Brad Staff bjstaff at zds-ux.UUCP
Sat May 5 05:04:18 AEST 1990

I add some declarations that look something like the following:

#ifdef	PRODUCTION
#define	DEBUG	0
#else
int	DEBUG = FLAG1 | FLAG2 | ... | FLAGn;
#endif	/* PRODUCTION */

Then I do it like this:

	if (DEBUG & FLAGx)
		printf(...);

This way the debug statements look more like regular C code, which is more
aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.  :-)  This method allows you to turn debug
printfs on and off in a running system by patching the DEBUG variable with a
kernel debugger or adb.  When you #define PRODUCTION, any compiler worth using
(IMHO) will optimize away both the test and the printf itself, for a zero
performance penalty.
--
Brad Staff               |
Zenith Data Systems      | "A government that can forbid certain