Tools for determining BITNET paths (source code included)

Peter M. Weiss PMW1 at psuvm.psu.edu
Fri Jun 28 04:14:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun27.155006.29927 at ms.uky.edu>, morgan at ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan)
says:

Date:         Sat, 18 May 91 07:38:35 EDT
From:         BITNODES at AUVM
Subject:      BITNODES Refcard

Processing your query "HELP" at 07:38:36:

*             B I T N O D E S
*
* BITNODES is  a service  machine at  The American
* University in Washington DC  which will help you
* find information about BitNet  nodes. It uses as
* its  source the  official  BitNet BITEARN  NODES
* file.  This  file  is updated  once  per  month.
* BITNODES will  accept interactive  messages from
* the   BitNet   network,   or   electronic   mail
* ("E-Mail") from BitNet or any connected network.
* It  will respond  using the  same medium  as was
* used for the request.
*
* At  AU,  the  command to  interactively  message
* BITNODES would look like:
*      TELL BITNODES command
*
* From a  VM/CMS system  on BitNet the  command to
* interactively message BITNODES would look like:
*      TELL BITNODES AT AUVM command
*
* From  a  VAX system  on  BitNet  the command  to
* interactively message BITNODES would look like:
*      SEND BITNODES at AUVM command
*
* Using  E-mail, the  request  should  be sent  to
* BITNODES at AUVM.BITNET  or  BITNODES at AUVM.AUVM.EDU
* depending on the addressing  scheme used at your
* site to  mail to BitNet addresses.  The BITNODES
* command can be either the first line of the mail
* message, or (if there is no mail message) in the
* subject.
*
* The BITNODES commands are:
*
* HELP         - this message is returned
* FIND string  - a list of nodes is returned. This
*                is a list of all nodes which have
*                "string" (or something similar to
*                it) in  their site  name. Example
*                is  "FIND AMERICAN".  Care should
*                be  taken  not  to search  for  a
*                commonly    used   string    like
*                "UNIVERSITY" or "COLLEGE".
* WHOIS nodeid - information is returned about the
*                node you specify. The name of the
*                site,  their  location,  and  the
*                names of their  contacts are just
*                some of the information returned.
*                Example is "WHOIS AUVM".
* PATH nd1 nd2 - information is  returned  showing
*                the BitNet path between the nodes
*                requested (nd1 and nd2).  Example
*                is "PATH AUVM UDCVM".
*
* For  more  information,  write to  Jim  McIntosh
* at JIM at AUVM.AUVM.EDU.

/Pete
--
Peter M. Weiss                     | pmw1 @ PSUADMIN  |  psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm
31 Shields Bldg - PennState Univ.  | not affiliated with psuvm.psu.edu|psuvm