How Broken is Sun Fortran (Summary)

Charles Holden Winstead winstead at faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU
Fri Feb 8 13:35:27 AEST 1991

Hi,

I am a brand-spanking new reader of this bboard and I just wanted to ask
a couple of questions.  I program in Fortran on Sun4's and Sparc stations,
and my questions are these:

   1- Is Fortran on these Suns different than 'conventional' Fortran? i.e.
      what do I have to look out for?

   2- Is there a debugger that works?  I've tried gdp and dbx and neither
      can read the source code that fortran produces.  The same program
      compile dwith the same flags can be read on a DEC machine, so I'm
      figuring it's a problem in Sun Fortran.

   3- Every now and then I get an error that says Warning: IEEE floating
      Point Error. Inexact Underflow.  But it doesn't tell me where it
      happened!  I guess an anwer to 2 would also answer this.

Thank you for your help.  I'm surrounded by c-hackers so I get no support
around here at all!

Charles Winstead

winstead at faraday.ece.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon