Running OpenWindows in color on cg8?

Jamie Thompson Sun Dallas DSE jbthomp at druid.Central.Sun.COM
Thu Feb 7 14:53:54 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb6.162053.30237 at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> stparker at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Steve Parker) writes:
>barnick at sunshine.Kodak.COM (William M Barnick x73638) writes:
>
>>In article <1991Feb5.201245.4717 at javelin.es.com> pashdown at javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>>>
>>>Does anyone know how to get OpenWindows in 4.1.1 to come up in COLOR on a CG8
>>>buffer?  Black and white isn't much fun.
>>>--
>>>
>>According to what I understand OpenWindows does not yet support any 24-bit
>>board (except on the mono-bit plane).  In theory this will be resolved in the
>>next release of OpenWindows.  Hopefully the release will be soon.

OpenWindows (Versions 2.0+) will never be 'supported' on a cg8/cg9.
The only way to get it to run on those boards is to get the cg8/9
patch mentioned below.  It was done by a Japanese Grad student and
can be found...um...well, I can't find where right now.
Try the mit server (sorry).

OpenWindows WILL be supported in glorious 24bit color on Sun's newest
24bit accelerators, the GS and GT. (Yeah, I know, it doesn't do you
a bit of good!)

>	I have Openwindows running on my CG9, right now!  I got the patches
>for the CG8/CG9 and applied them to the MIT X11R4 release.  With the CG8/CG9
>server, I can then run olwm and then have openwindows running on the CG9.
>I believe that this would also work with the CG8.

Yes, it will work on the cg8.  It is slower than OpenWindows 2.0,
but it's the best there is right now.

>	It is openwindows, but not everything works.  Of course, nothing that

Right...it's a generic server, not a sun supplied server.  All generic X
stuff should work.

>		Steven G. Parker
>		sgp at phyast.nhn.uoknor.edu

Norman, Oklahoma?  I was told they don't teach 'C' at OU, only COBOL.
(1/2 a :-)

Jamie Thompson
OSU Grad
jbthomp at Central.Sun.COM
--
Don't ask me....I just live with the guy....
jbthomp at Central.Sun.COM		(214) 788-3183