VMS C summary

utzoo!decvax!cwruecmp!ordy utzoo!decvax!cwruecmp!ordy
Fri Dec 31 15:25:56 AEST 1982

	Several weeks ago, I posted a request for VMS C Compiler information.
I received several replies, and I would now like to summerize.

	First, thanks to those who responded.

	Here is a summary of the available compilers.

	* DECUS C compiler:
	Runs and compiles into compatability mode (PDP-11). Claimed to
	be free ($$). Partial language implementation, no support of floating
	data types. (I think I used this one once under RSX11. Several
	querks which required editing to port some Unix based code)

	* Whitesmiths C compiler:
	Considered a 'V6' flavor compiler. Totally nonstandard library,
	not even 'printf'. Costs $750. Same source code can compile across
	the range of target machines Whitesmiths sells for. Claimed to
	generate poor code. Requires initialized external variables.

	* Eunice C compiler:
	Part of the Unix emulation package. Claimed to be either the
	Ritchie C or PCC ported. $1500 - $5000 depending upon your
	type of institution (educational discounts I suppose). Environment
	is like 4.1 BSD. One site that had Whitesmiths quit using it
	when the got Eunice.

	* Unity C compiler:
	Part of the Unix emulation package. Claimed to be about $12K, but
	a complete Unix emulation. From HCR. Either the Ritchie C or
	PCC ported.

	* Homebrew C compiler:
	One respondent moved the Ritchie C compiler to VMS back in the
	'dark ages' (before BSD). STDIO library worked with previous
	versions of VMS, not known about more recent ones. Missing things
	like 'fork', 'exec', and 'pipes'. The compiler was used to port
	Unix utilities to VMS. Free to Unix source licensees. No support
	possible. I have the address of the gentlemen holding the compiler,
	and in the interest of protecting him from tons of mail, I will
	give it out only if you mail me.

	* VMS-IS/1 C compiler:
	Part of the Interactive Systems Unix emulation package. Claimed
	to have been out the longest, and therefore most debugged.

	* DEC C compiler:
	This system generated the most interest. In fact, we decided
	it was the best, and now have it.
	External Comments:
		Claimed by some to produce good code, and by others
		poor code (!). Can interface to existing DEC symbolic
		debuggers. Fast, produces excellent error messages.
		The C manual itself (from DEC) is a good reference,
		and worth it even if you don't have the compiler (I agree).
		Currently ignores 'register' declarations. Costs about
		$7,500.
	Internal Comments:
		I forget the reasons, but we were able to get it for
		several thousand dollars less. Although the distribution
		kit is here, we have not brought it up, but if it
		works like the book claims, it should be exactly what we
		want. The library contains an almost complete set of
		Unix Programmers Manual Section 2/3 functions. Appears
		to have some 'Berkeley' influence in the selection of
		library functions, which for us is nice.

	There is the summary. I have edited down about 6 pages of
errors are possible. For those interested, I can mail you the entire
set of replies I received. Thanks for the data, hope we made the
right choice.

	Greg Ordy