enum's in C

antares antares
Thu Nov 4 18:02:24 AEST 1982

To Ken Arnold's complaint about `enum' types in C . . . .

I gather what he means by implementation error is that lint
throws fits, since it's the only side effect cited of the
fact that enums are equivalent to ints.  I see that as a
problem with lint, not with the implementation of enums.
I use lint, but take what it says with a grain of salt, and
don't necessarily strive blindly to work around lint's
`error' messages just to get my program to go through `clean.'
Personally, I haven't had problems with them.  Perhaps Ken
could cite some cases where code using enums doesn't work
the way he thinks they should?

					Harry