enum problems

arnold arnold
Thu Nov 4 14:15:23 AEST 1982

I, for one, cannot accept any solution to any problem using "enum"s.
When we first got v7 UN*X, I was excited, since I always thought that
this was one things PASCAL had over C.  However, when I attempted to
use it, I got in lots of trouble because of what I feel is a bug in
the implementation, to whit: enum constants should be treated as int's.
The problem is lint, mostly.  I can't use enums to address arrays, for
example, without generating lint error messages by the hatful.  I had
to regretfully drop enums until some more reasonable implementation
found its way to the public.  I really feel that enums are unusable
currently, and that something should be done to fix them.

		Ken