atoi() flame

utzoo!decvax!harpo!npoiv!npois!houxm!houxa!houxi!deimos!orion!lime!we13!otuxa!ll1!ihldt!ihnp4!ihuxr!lew utzoo!decvax!harpo!npoiv!npois!houxm!houxa!houxi!deimos!orion!lime!we13!otuxa!ll1!ihldt!ihnp4!ihuxr!lew
Tue Nov 16 15:16:42 AEST 1982

A pet peeve of mine is that atoi() - "ascii to integer", should really
be dtoi() - "decimal to integer", and there should be an otoi() -
"octal to integer", and an xtoi() - "hex to integer". I often miss
otoi(). It seems to me that its absence is due to the premeptive
nomenclature of the "decimal to integer" function.

The name would be justified if it used the C convention of a leading
"0" or "0x" for octal and hex, but it doesn't.

Lew Mammel, Jr. ihuxr!lew