Why gripes about C enums should be taken in context

cak cak
Fri Nov 12 17:52:59 AEST 1982

Alan,

Under v6, I seem to recall that you could use longs as long
as you just wanted to add and subtract (and maybe mod). The other
math support routines apparently didn't get written in time
to make the tape as it was hurrying out the door. I believe that
most of the type conversion routines were missing, too.

Amazing as it may seem, there are folks on campus here who still
run v6; so I occasionally get source files with that stupid #
by itself on the first line....

(How did we ever live without structure assignment?)

Cheers,
chris