the joys of C

utzoo!decvax!harpo!eagle!mit-vax!mp utzoo!decvax!harpo!eagle!mit-vax!mp
Sun Apr 3 01:01:53 AEST 1983

No, this isn't another careful dissection of a C feature.

This "ad" has been floating around UNIX systems for a few years;
I think it originally came from BBN, around 1979.

   Are you looking for a system more flexible than RT-11 that is still easier
   to use than OS/360?  Do you want to program in a language that combines the
   flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language?  Are
   you looking for a system which provides nearly all the capabilities you
   have come to expect from modern-day computer systems, but is stripped of
   unnecessary frills like source-language debuggers?

   If so, you're looking for UNIX (c).

   The UNIX systems programming language, C, provides virtually no support for
   strings or other complex datatypes, freeing the programmer from the need to
   learn about dozens of "builtin functions" that almost do what you want.
   The C programmer is free to write functions to manipulate strings again and
   again, in every program he writes -- and have them all do slightly
   different things!

   C programs are compact. The use of braces for grouping, single characters
   for most operators, and an eight-character limit on variable names keeps
   storage usage down, as does the file system.

   UNIX provides, in its "kernel", a powerful I/O system which frees the
   programmer from worries about blocks, records, or other physical details of
   file organizations. You can read or write individual bytes! When efficiency
   is paramount, you have your choice of three similar, almost compatible I/O
   libraries to provide nearly all the functionality of the kernel I/O system.

   UNIX encourages modularity.  Programmers are encouraged to keep their files
   small, since many UNIX programs will complain if given files with more than
   32,767 characters, lines, words, etc. Those that don't will fail in
   surprising ways.

   UNIX (c). It usually works.