Orphaned Response - (nf)

notes at ucbcad.UUCP notes at ucbcad.UUCP
Thu Oct 6 16:12:34 AEST 1983

#R:utzoo:-317600:ucbesvax:4800023:37777777600:702
ucbesvax!turner    Sep  6 03:19:00 1983

Bravo, Mr. Spencer!  Some years ago, when I was stuck on an RT-11 system,
developing a graphics package, I inadvertently came to the same conclusion.
With nothing but FORTRAN to use, and having been given Pavlovian anti-GOTO
treatment in my introductory programming courses, I sought to minimize the
use of GOTO by simply defining new procedures for use in "then" clauses,
whenever these happened to be multi-line.  (For "if...then...else", this
didn't work, of course.)  After a while, the code seemed to be restructuring
itself to be more legible (at least to me.)

If anything, C has gotten me OUT of this good habit.  Well, I can't really
blame the language for creeping vices...

	Michael Turner