the 'broken' statement

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Oct 12 09:40:27 AEST 1983

Alas, Mr. Dixon, you have misunderstood Wulf's "FIRST" loop.  The
"not found" part is not executed for each iteration where the
condition is not satisfied -- it is executed ONCE if the loop ends
without finding anything that satisfies the condition.  You can't
do this in C without using a goto, introducing an auxiliary variable,
or breaking the whole thing out into a separate function so you can
use return.  As I said, it is far too late to introduce this into C,
which is how I feel about most of the suggested changes to C.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology