Argument typechecking vs. PRINTF et al

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Mon Sep 12 14:52:09 AEST 1983

I have heard that C will soon check for type-correctness of arguments to
routines (and will perform casts, as necessary).  The syntax will probably
be something like

int stat(int, struct stat *);

The way that routines such as "printf" are handled is that if you don't
declare what arguments a routine takes, it assumes that you're being "old-
fashioned" and will allow any arguments and will do no type-checking or
casting; this also makes the new language compatible with the old one.
Simple fix.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,mcnc,we13,brl-bmd,allegra}!rlgvax!guy