structure (YES) and array and string (NO) comparisons

Guido van Rossum guido at mcvax.UUCP
Sun Apr 8 15:17:14 AEST 1984

Followups and mail I receive tell me that I made a mistake about suggesting
that < and > for pointers are little-known or little-used.  The generic
example looks something like:
	for (pointer = array; pointer < &array[arraylength]; ++pointer)
		...;
(This makes little difference for my reasoning, but that isn't widely
supported either.)

On unions: the examples posted and mailed didn't convince me of the
usability of unions outside structs.  They looked like poor hacks.

But I'll stop argueing and translate my programs to Algol 68. :-)

--
	Guido van Rossum, "Stamp Out Basic" Committee, CWI, Amsterdam
	guido @ mcvax