C stack frame sizes

John Collins jmc at ist.UUCP
Tue Dec 11 09:21:46 AEST 1984

One point which hasn't been made about the issue of stack frame sizes,
at least not that I've seen, is that the stack never gets deallocated in
UNIX, and if you call a function right at the start of your program which
uses lots of stack space it stays allocated.

The same is not true if you sbrk(2) the space you require, and tidy up
afterwards, although I admit this is less convenient (I like the idea of
the computer doing all the donkey work), but it does give you control if
you need it, as you often do on small machines.
--
John Collins calling courtesy of ist
	Please reply to ...!mcvax!ist!inset!jmc