C stack frame sizes

Mike Lutz mjl at ritcv.UUCP
Tue Dec 4 10:31:01 AEST 1984

>From: ecn-ee!malcolm    Nov 30 21:27:00 1984

>I commonly put up to a megabyte into a single stack frame...I find
>it is much more elegant to put all of my temporary arrays on
>the stack...I wonder what this type of programming style would do to a
>Berkeley style RISC machine?

Probably wouldn't have much effect, as the philosophy of RISC is to
hold scalars in the register bank.  However, it does point up an
interesting problem -- does the Berkeley RISC require a parallel stack,
maintained by software protocols, to hold structures, arrays, and other
humongous local variables?

--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl