C stack frame sizes

malcolm at ecn-ee.UUCP malcolm at ecn-ee.UUCP
Sun Dec 2 15:27:07 AEST 1984

I commonly put up to a megabyte into a single stack frame.  I write heavy
duty number crunching for a living and can't live without C's modularity
(compared to Fortrash.)

I find it is much more elegant to put all of my temporary arrays on
the stack so that they are hidden from other routines and they don't take
up memory space except when the routine is active.  This is especially
a win for rarely called routines.  Of course I could use malloc but this
would be a real pain in the a**.

I wonder what this type of programming style would do to a Berkeley style
RISC machine?

								Malcolm