$ in identifiers -- poll

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sun Dec 30 10:55:26 AEST 1984

> ...  However entry is not in the standard as
> a reserved word (this was as of Oct. 17).  So it would
> have to be added.
>
> I have never heard of a C compiler that uses it.  Are there
> any?

Actually, "put back" is more accurate than "added".  It has been a
"reserved for future use" keyword in C for a long time, but the ANSI
committee decided (in my opinion, correctly) that it did not seem to
have a future and thus could be deleted.  As far as I know, nobody
has ever done anything with it.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology