Lattice/UNIX incompatibility

g-frank at gumby.UUCP g-frank at gumby.UUCP
Wed Dec 26 07:20:05 AEST 1984

> I looked at a Lattice C manual a few days
> ago.  The list of differences between Lattice C and K+R C seemed large,
> and then in browsing through the reference section I discovered further
> incompatibilities between Lattice and K+R.  I don't have similar
> reservations about Mark Williams compiler.
>
> Kaare Christian

Which version of Lattice C did you look at?  As of 2.14, the "UNIX" interface
is much improved, with many more functions, and bit more sense to the ones
there are.  Lattice does have its own naming conventions for stuff, but also
offers the UNIX names, as far as I can tell.  The only big problem is the need
to use a "b" in the opentype string when opening files for "binary" (that is,
no translation of CR/LF pairs, no recognition of ^Z as EOF, etc.).  This is
100% UNIX incompatible, of course, but it's hard to see how else to resolve
it, given PC-DOS.