BCPL vs C

M. G. Hand marcus at pyuxt.UUCP
Tue Jul 17 08:50:47 AEST 1984

>Another ability BCPL had...
>was the ability to suppress duplicate includes...

Ahh, but it was so implementation dependant.  The version I used
on an ICL 1906 (model number, not design date) which I think was written
by a masters student at Royal College of Military Science at Shrivenham,
Wiltshire, could only cope with a limited number of include files, and
you were also limited to 4096 bytes worth of manifest constants because
of some obscure data area on the 1906.

But i did like the ability to nest functions within functions - very
useful for tracing - and the unlimited length symbol names were pretty
useful too...

		marcus hand	pyuxt!marcus