6 character external identifiers

W Stevens stevens at inuxh.UUCP
Thu Jul 12 04:09:04 AEST 1984

>	I can live with 6 character names:  I'll just run programs I want
>	to be ``portable'' through another program that finds identifiers
>	that aren't unique to 6 characters, and replaces them with new
>	made up ones that are.  For example,
>
>		int ReplaceString () { ... }
>		int ReplaceChar () { ... }
>
>	would turn into
>
>		int _1ReplaceString () { ... }
>		int _2ReplaceChar () { ... }

Okay.  But what if ReplaceString and ReplaceChar are to be placed in a
library?  How do you guarantee that your special program will generate
_1ReplaceString for ReplaceString, and _2ReplaceChar for ReplaceChar, in
any program that tries to use these routines (e.g., in a program that
includes a function called ReplaceNode)?

--
Scott Stevens
AT&T Consumer Products