The Standard / Re: Problems With Typechecking Enumerated Types

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Jul 14 03:29:45 AEST 1984

> Don't know why it was (as Ritchie The Revered reportedly said) "a botch"
> in C, except that it was such a late addition to the language,
> and may have violated some fundamental simplifying assumptions
> about how things were done.

Dennis talked about this a bit at the Usenix session.  What he said was
roughly like this:  "I had a choice of two ways to put enums in.  One was
to make them first-class citizens, so that one could do things like
defining arrays with enum subscripts and so forth.  The other was to
fudge them in as a restricted form of integer.  I did it the easy but
ugly way, and made them restricted integers."
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology