QUERY: Coding convention

M. G. Hand marcus at pyuxt.UUCP
Fri Jul 6 07:50:02 AEST 1984

Connected with this (the machine type defines), I encountered the following
problem a couple of weeks ago:

	Between USG 5.2 and 5.3 (sic) - these are S5 releases for the 3B5 -
	the defined constant _u3b disappeared from the system with the
	consequence that one of my programs stopped compiling.  Now I have
	to:
	#if	defined(_3b) || defined(_3b5)
	(Not too painful admittedly, but all I wanted to know was whether
	it was a generic 3b system.)

What this does is to underline the need for a series of standard names which
covers Unix versions and the hardware on which it runs; and, when I say
*standard* I mean well known, well documented, and universally adhered-to.
(fat chance!).

I add my voice in support of Mark Horton's proposal.

		Marcus Hand	(pyuxt!marcus)