enums again

janney at unm-cvax.UUCP janney at unm-cvax.UUCP
Sat Jul 7 12:50:39 AEST 1984

I appreciate that you can't do arithmetic with enums, and I've learned to live
with not using them in switch statements, but I really thought the following
program would be OK:

enum foo { one, two, three };

set(now)
	enum foo *now;
{
	*now = one;
}

main()
{
	enum foo here;

	set(&here);
}

When I gave this to lint, I got

enums.c:
set, arg. 1 used inconsistently	enums.c(5)  ::  enums.c(13)

Can anyone explain this? (This is on 4.2bsd, if it matters).  The same
problem occurs with arrays of enums.

Flame:	lint and enums seem to be mutually exclusive, and if I'm forced
	to choose, I'll stay with lint.  Can you do anything with enums,
	other than assignment?

Jim Janney
{{convex,ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax, {purdue,lbl-csam,cmcl2}!lanl-a}!unm-cvax!janney