summary of C-standards workshop at U - (nf)

dan at haddock.UUCP dan at haddock.UUCP
Fri Jul 13 07:52:58 AEST 1984

#R:utzoo:-401300:haddock:12400012:000:640
haddock!dan    Jul 11 17:51:00 1984

Re long global ids: if the ANSI committee required them, that would just mean
that everyone with stone-age linkers would have to say "ANSI Standard C, except
that global ids can only be 6 chars long" instead of being able to say just
"ANSI Standard C".  I for one consider identifier length important enough that
I think it would be a good idea if every short-id compiler ad had to say so,
up front.  That kind of disclaimer might also increase the incentive to
improve the linker.

Re variable arguments: I too think that '...' would be infinitely better than
a trailing comma.  Making a common syntax error legal is the wrong way to go.