DeSmet C - making smaller .EXE files

Ed Nather nather at utastro.UUCP
Tue Jul 10 13:14:57 AEST 1984

[]
One discouraging thing I have encountered using DeSmet C is the *very*
slow I/O when using stdin and/or stdout.  To test this, I compiled the "copy"
program from page 15 of K & R using DeSmet C, and then ran it on a 4100
character file.  It managed to copy the 4100 characters into another disk
file on hard disk in 47 seconds (!).  I compiled the same exact code on the
Computer Innovations CI-C86 compiler, then ran it on the same 4100
character file.  Time: 4 seconds, 12 times faster than DeSmet.

I'd like to see DeSmet successful, since his price is right and you get a
lot of bang for your buck.  But you have to wait a lot for I/O.

--

                                 Ed Nather
                                 {allegra,ihnp4}!{ut-sally,noao}!utastro!nather