ANSI C

dgary at ecsvax.UUCP dgary at ecsvax.UUCP
Thu Jul 12 02:23:38 AEST 1984

<>
>From: henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) Sat Jul  7 20:11:41 1984
>The 6-character uniqueness limit is not being "imposed" by the standard;
>it is already imposed by dozens of linkers in use at tens of thousands
>of sites.

A minor point:  The linker imposes a limit only on the number of
significant characters in EXTERNAL names.  K&R claim internal names
can have 8 significant characters.  I see no reason for a limit on
external names to be imposed on the whole language.

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary