summary of C-standards workshop at Usenix

geoff at callan.UUCP geoff at callan.UUCP
Wed Jul 11 11:49:12 AEST 1984

>What do K&R think of this stuff; I think they should be given substantial
>control as to the direction of THEIR language.
>					Pete Delaney

I don't know about K, but Dennis Ritchie was sitting on the podium during
the standards workshop.  Although Rosler said about several features that
Dennis didn't necessarily approve, Ritchie only appeared truly grossed out
once (sorry, I don't remember about what).

As to its being THEIR language:  sorry, I don't agree.  THEIR language is the
C compiler from version 6 or before;  the current C language belongs to the
user community that needs it.  Would you want Grace Hopper to be the only
person allowed to propose changes in COBOL?  I don't think she even uses the
language any more, yet it is a living and breathing entity (okay, gasping).
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	Callan Data Systems