pointer -> long conversion

woods at hao.UUCP woods at hao.UUCP
Wed Jul 11 13:57:08 AEST 1984

  As usual, I don't know what the official manual says. All I know is,
a negative pointer value is total nonsense. Therefore it seems to me that
*any* pointer value assigned to an integer (or long) should be positive.
So, I would advocate *no* sign extension.
  I would be interested to hear if someone can point out a reference stating
what a compiler should do, or one that explicitly says that this is implemen-
tation dependent.

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!stcvax | harpo!seismo | ihnp4!stcvax}
       		        !hao!woods

   "Cherish well your thoughts, keep a tight grip on your booze
    'Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today"