Do you use bit fields?

phil at RICE.ARPA phil at RICE.ARPA
Sun Sep 23 06:14:14 AEST 1984

From:  William LeFebvre <phil at RICE.ARPA>

C'mon guys!  I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.  On Berkeley
Unix (which is the only Unix I am familiar with), "ld" uses bit fields all
the time.  The structure used to indicate an address that needs
relocation in an object file (a "struct relocation_info") has a bit
field declaration for one of the longs!  Look at "/usr/include/a.out.h".
I guess no one out there has ever had to write a relocating loader for
Berkeley Unix.

                                William LeFebvre
				Department of Computer Science
				Rice University