VAX VMS C / UNIX C Compatibility -- Need Info

Norman Pritchett pritch at osu-eddie.UUCP
Fri Aug 9 07:31:45 AEST 1985

> Is the VAX VMS C-compiler compatible with UNIX?  That is, can I take
> C files that compiled under UNIX and compile them under VMS with no
> changes other than the shell commands inside of system() calls? A guy
> in my office says that to hope for this is naive at best, but I thought
> that this ability was supposed to be a feature of C.

In my opinion, DEC made a half-decent effort to make Vax-11 C compaitible
with Unix C.  Generally, all but the things which just cannot be done in VMS
or wouldn't make sense in VMS were preserved.  Areas you will have problems
with are things that manipulate terminal characteristics, file i/o
(sometimes),  things that depend heavily on shell features (wildcard
expansion, i/o redirection).

> Another thing I'm looking for under VMS is the ability to load both
> C and FORTRAN object files into one executable. Does anyone know if
> this works?

That's part of VMS.  The VMS concept is that all routines should be callable
from any language.

The questions you've asked can be best answered by reading "Programming in
Vax-11C" which is put out by DEC.