Summary on dumb dyn. alloc question and flames across the ocean

K.DELBENE delbene at homxa.UUCP
Wed Aug 7 07:20:19 AEST 1985

Here's what is apparently a totally unnecessary summary of the responses
on my question of dynamic memory allocation warnings from lint:

In a word, ignore it. Malloc will return space that is properly alligned
for any purpose.  One other comment that I hadn't considered is that
I was being presumptive in thinking that calloc() would return properly
initialized space.  So I have done my own initialization (which I should have
been doing anyway - a bit lazy I guess!).

The rest of the side discussions I will leave unsummarized, since there were
quite a few, somewhat tangential points brought up (interesting discussion,
though).  Thanks to all those who responded!

And now for the real point.  On the article from our friend from the
Netherlands that the discussion was inappropriately nit-picky and that
one should consult their local gurus before going to the net, well
EXCUUUUUUSSSSSEEEEE MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!  On the first point,
as long as it fits within the subject of the group, I don't
think you can call the discussion inappropriate.  Nobody is forcing you to
read the article!  (Oh my! Perhaps you didn't know. Let a novice instruct
you in the use of the command "n", for "next" article.)
On the second point of consulting your local guru, there's an often observed
phenomenon with CS and engineering types.  It appears that no matter what the
question is, you'll get an answer.  It may not be the right answer, but
you'll get an answer.  Its always nice to get the opinion of several experts
instead of one UNIX counselor (I find that at least at Bell Labs - Holmdel,
they usually know less 'C' than I do!).

Thanks again for the advice, and the flame thrower can stick it in his ear!

					Kurt D. Del Bene
					Bell Labs - Holmdel
					...!ihnp4!homxa!delbene