(void) and printf

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Fri Aug 9 18:25:44 AEST 1985

> In System V, they have changed the free() function to "return" void.
> Presumably this was to indicate that it doesn't return any usable
> value.  Trouble is, lint now complains about a return value mis-match,
> since most code hasn't been changed to include a "void free()" line.

Any code that was using the return value of free needed to be fixed
anyway.  The same is true of perror() and several other functions.
My pet gripe was the result type of a signal-catching function, which
should have been void but could not be declared correctly until they
fixed PCC to handle (void (*)()) properly.  Now that the compiler is
working this should be fixed.

Let's get all the types CORRECT.